This Sunday is what I am calling “Vision Sunday” at Ebenezer. During the service and then again during our Congregational Meeting we will be looking at what God might be calling on us to do in 2019. One of those items is something I would like to get started on as soon as possible – the formation of a prayer team for Sunday mornings.
er the past couple of years, I have occasionally ended a service with an “altar call,” inviting people to come forward during the closing song to prayer at the altar. The response to those calls has been…well, not exactly robust. That’s OK. I know that the altar call is an older practice of the church that has kind of gone by the wayside.
But I still think that there needs to be some sort of ministry that can be there for people when the Holy Spirit is nudging them after a service. I believe this because invariably whenever I do have an altar call a number of people come up to me after the service and want to talk.
So here is what I would love to see happen at Ebenezer – after each Sunday morning service we would have a couple of people who would be willing to meet and pray with anyone who desires to be prayed for. Perhaps we designate the front pew of the sanctuary, or perhaps we use the annex. We’ll figure out those details together.
Much like our visitation ministry, I’m not looking for professional counselors. Just folks with a heart for people who are willing to listen to someone’s concerns and then pray with/for them for a few minutes on a Sunday morning. If this ministry is something that you would be interested in being a part of, please see me.
Here’s what’s happening:
1. We received $970 for the Ryan Martin family on Sunday and will be send the gift along with a card of sympathy to Katie Martin.
2. THIS SUNDAY, 1/27 is our Annual Congregational Meeting after the service. We will gather in the fellowship hall for lunch, with what should be a brief meeting to follow. Please plan to stay.
3. 2/6 – Ministry Council Meeting
4. Palm Sunday Cantata – Yes, it is already time to start thinking about choir practice! Joanne Swords-Wand will be leading our cantata this spring. Rehearsals will begin on Monday, 2/18 from 7 – 8pm and continue each Monday night leading up to Palm Sunday.
5. The West Earl Fire Company is having a fundraising breakfast from 6-10 am on Saturday.
6. There is a Sportsman Banquet being held on March 7 & 8 at Yoder’s Restaurant. See Jeff Bahrenburg for details if you would like to go.
This Sunday we will be taking a break from our sermon series to reflect on all that God has accomplished through the ministries of Ebenezer in 2018 and look to what He has in store for us in 2019. I would encourage you to read Daniel 6:1-5 in preparation for Sunday as we take a deep dive into what Biblical excellence looks like!