This morning was “See You At the Pole” day at our schools. This is a national initiative that calls for students to meet around the flag pole before school for a time a worship and prayer. Several such gatherings happened at Conestoga Valley schools today. This is a great reminder that just as the students, parents, and teachers are praying for their schools, we should be praying for them!
This seems like a great time to highlight some pretty awesome things that are happening in our local public schools:
Bible Adventure – This ministry (formerly called Released Time) happens during the school day. We, of course, host the Brownstown Elementary group. A number of “Ebenezer” kids come to Bible Adventure.
Bible2School – Similar to Bible Adventure, this ministry also meets during the school day. There is Bible2School groups meeting at Smoketown Elementary.
Good News Clubs – This is another elementary school ministry. Good News Clubs meet after school at Leola, Fritz, and Smoketown.
All-Pro Dads/iMoms – This is a before-school breakfast ministry that encourages kids and their parents to connect at a deeper level. It is what I call “covertly Christian,” meaning that although Scripture isn’t quoted during the gatherings, the principles discussed are very much Biblically-based. Breakfasts are held monthly at every elementary school in CV!
I have personally served in all of these ministries (except Bible2School) at one time or another and can confidently say that they are all doing great work. Trent goes to Bible2School at Smoketown and loves it.
But wait, there’s more!
FCS – This is a before school gathering at CV Middle School. FCS meets every Thursday morning. It is completely student-led! Talk to Abby to learn more about FCS.
FOCUS – This is the student-led evangelical Christian club at CV High School. FOCUS meets before school on Friday mornings and is very active in the High School. Greg can tell you about all that is happening in FOCUS.
Let’s be in prayer for all of these groups and especially for their leaders. Being an evangelical ministry at a public school has its challenges (although CV is more accommodating than most), and all of these groups deal with some obstacles as they seek to proclaim the name of Jesus and the truth that the Bible is the Word of God!
Here’s what’s happening…we have officially hit the fall “busy season”:
1. Choir Practice for the Christmas Cantata starts up THIS MONDAY, October 1st at 7pm.
2. Harvest Fest prep work will be on Thursday night’s from 6:30-8pm beginning NEXT WEEK on 10/4. The big event is on 10/25.
3. Worship Committee meeting on 10/4 at 6:30 pm.
4. Sunday, 10/7 is a Communion Sunday.
5. On Sunday, October 7 there will be a light lunch served in the fellowship hall for all who are new to Ebenezer and would like to learn more about our church, our denomination, and our vision for the future! If you are thinking about connecting at Ebenezer at a deeper level, this lunch is for YOU! Please let me know if you are coming so we can have plenty of food. We will be done by 12:45.
6. Ministry Council Meeting on Tuesday, 10/9.
7. Congregational Life Commission Meeting on Tuesday, 10/16.
8. Ebenezer At Home - There will be an organizational/training meeting on Wednesday, October 17 from 6:30 -7:30 in the annex for anyone interested being a part of the visitation team. I’ll be sharing some thoughts on what to do (and what to avoid) during a visit and talking about how to respond to delicate situations when visiting someone.
Our passage for this Sunday is Nehemiah 4. The rebuilding of the walls of Jerusalem is rolling along, but not without some significant challenges for Nehemiah to deal with. If you know of someone who is facing a rebuild in life and is feeling frustrated and defeated (or is “sick and tired of being sick and tired”), this week would be an awesome week for you to invite them to join you at Ebenezer.