At our Christian Education Commission meeting a few weeks ago we had a robust discussion regarding what opportunities we should be offering for people to gather to be equipped and encourage by studying the Bible. We discussed having evening Bible studies, Sunday School electives, small groups meeting in people’s homes and weekend retreats.
I’ll be honest, we didn’t reach any firm conclusions. Attendance at these sorts of gatherings has been rather light over the past few years. Still, we value studying God’s Word here at Ebenezer, so the question that we ultimately ended up wresting with is “What sort of Christian Ed opportunities would the folks at church make a priority to attend and support?”
Here is where we are asking for your help. On Sunday there will be a short survey in your bulletin. We are asking EVERY ADULT to fill it out (this Sunday if at all possible), even if your schedule or life situation doesn’t allow you to be a part of the church’s ministries outside of Sunday Mornings (there is a question where you can indicate that). Surveys can be handed to me after the service or placed in my mailbox. We’ll compile the results and use that to plan for the upcoming year.
The survey is 5 short multiple choice style questions, so it won’t take anyone long to fill out. I’ve enclosed it with this email in case you’d like to print it out can get it taken care of ahead of Sunday. Thank you for your help!
Here’s what’s happening:
1. The PRC is having its fall meeting THIS MONDAY, 9/16. If you have a concern you would like the PRC to discuss please connect with Charlie Szasz, Cathy Ressler, Linda Zimmerman, Joe Reinhold, or Dave Weimer.
2. Bible Adventure starts up this week on Thursday. We already have 105 kids registered to attend. Please be in prayer for this ministry…Thursday is going to be wild.
3. There is a couple living across the street from the church that has a transportation need, particularly someone to drive them to the CVCCS food bank over in Smoketown once a month. If you would be willing to help provide transportation, please see me.
4. E.C. News – Pastor George Custer, whom many of you know from his time as an Associate Pastor here at Ebenezer, has been approved for ordination within the E.C. His service of ordination is scheduled for Sunday, September 22 at 4 pm. The service will take place at the church that George is currently stationed at - Bethel Evangelical Congregational Church down in Conestoga. Church address is 3716 Main St, Conestoga, PA 17516
5. The E.C. is recommending that hurricane relief offerings be designated for Samaritan’s Purse. If you would like to contribute to the relief efforts, please give your gift as a separate check in the offering during one of the next two Sunday’s.
6. I mentioned last week that Irene Lukus went home to be with the Lord. My understanding is that the family is having a very small, private service for her. Sympathy cards can be mailed to her son Ron: Ron Burkholder, 251 Cats Back Road, Ephrata PA 17522.
This Sunday we will continue our fall sermon series on the life of Joseph, found in Genesis 37-50. In this week’s passage we find Joseph being thrown into a pit by his brothers, only to be sold into slavery and taken to Egypt. Have you ever found yourself in a “pit” in life? Most of us have at one time or another. Why do we end up in a “pit” and what does God want us to do when we are in it? We’ll look at those questions and more on Sunday.